Tuesday 20 August 2013

The day before

The continental divide, in meaningful form, spans North America from Alaska to New Mexico. For the better part of the next month Dave and I will ride its length from Banff in British Columbia, south until we run out of time or mountains, whichever comes first.
The route we will follow was originally mapped out for touring mountain bikes. From what I understand it's not technical in mountain bike terms. I hope I'm correct on that one as it could be awkward carrying A 220kg bike down a cliff. For the most part we will be following gravel roads, jeep tracks and about 300km of single track. I'm sure the latter will prove hilarious in the days to come. We expect to cover everything from high desert to rocky mountain passes. All of this will be observed through a faintly hallucinogenic aura brought on as a result of the chronic sleep deprivation associated with sharing Dave's room. Speaking of Dave, he has no idea what we're getting into. We are operating strictly on a need to know basis.

Dave is one of those people who is fantastic to know. He is not at all intimidated by big ideas and so things happen around him. It is thanks to Dave that I have had the most fantastic experiences over the last few years, of which last years interpretation of the Trans America Trail was a highlight. He suggested we buy some bikes and ride them in the States for a couple of years. Jennie, bless her, didn't hesitate to support the idea. And so the 2 trips criss crossing the states were conceived.
We have no intention of doing anything other than indulging ourselves in the pleasure if exploring on motorbikes. Seattle, Vancouver Island, zigzagging over 4000km of BC backcountry along the Trans Canada Adventure Trail and then the Great Divide. There will be a few diversions to the great national parks and no shortage of unexpected events.
This is a motorbike adventure and so the bike deserves a mention. The KTM 990 combines the elements of a fantastic engine with great suspension and handling to provide a simply enthralling ride. I kid you not. No seriously. I am looking forward to getting reacquainted.

So thank you Jennie, Lucien, Julius for letting me go again. As always I will miss you terribly when I am away but all the sweeter for when I get back.
Thanks also to Dave. He was good enough company last time for me to spend another month with him.
With last minute nerves stifling my thought processes I shall sign off.
Tomorrow Seattle. Let the adventure begin..

No comments:

Post a Comment