Sunday 1 September 2013

Day 12: Lincoln, Montana

Today started with one of those mildly awkward moments (nothing to do with rolling over and staring into Daves eyes after another night sharing a bed I might add).
Before I left I bought some great photo chromatic sunglasses. You know the type that get darker when exposed to light and vice versa. Anyway they are good but tend to compress my temples in my helmet resulting in a slightly bug eyed look by the end if the day. No problem, I decide to buy some cheap and cheerfuls when we fuelled up this morning. Can't go wrong with 4 dollar check me check you's. You know the ones with the reflective lenses.
Anyway, happily in charge of them at the shop counter I decide to casually rip off the label. Most unexpectedly a whole series of terrible events happen. I give it a quick yank which serves no purpose other than to lift my thumbnail in the most horrendously painful fashion. I look down thinking WTF happened to notice a pool of blood at my feet and even more annoyingly, one of the lenses of my new shades has popped out. I debate briefly with myself whether A: I should swoon and B: I should ask for my money back. The lady at the counter, who until then had been quite pleasant, gives me a withering look of disdain. Pathetic little man she says or something along those lines. I decide to do the only reasonable thing under the circumstances and scrabble around in the rapidly growing pool of blood for the other lens and beat a hasty exit mumbling apologies about the floor.
Of course there are no paper towels outside at the pumps and there is no way I'm going back inside so I use my stylish bandana to staunch the flow of blood and smear as much blood over the lenses as I possibly can.
I wanted to tell Dave that I had broken a finger nail and would need a day off the bike but could just see how well that would go down! I think if a Grizzly ripped my leg off Dave would just tell to harden up and get on with it.
So, very tenderly I inserted my now only ferociously throbbing thumb into my glove and set off. The damn thing still hurts now.
The riding today was so so I guess. We rode forestry roads for most of the day. At times, especially early in the day it was nice but as the day wore on the temperature picked up to 36degrees Celsius with no wind. The dust just hangs there and so it just becomes a mission. Most of the day we rode staggered tandem, a bike length apart to avoid the dust. Otherwise we would have had to ride several miles apart.
We did a nice flowing road towards the end if the road where it was too dangerous to do the above. Dave let me go in front so one of us had a good time and one was grumpy as all hell. In fact he is out there cleaning his decidedly dusty bike as I type. Met some lovely people today. Montana folk seem very easy to talk to.
We have moved from mountains into big sky country. Not many pictures today but at least I don't have a headache from my sunglasses.
I'm off to watch Dave clean his bike.

1 comment:

  1. I think you should wear those photo chromatic sunglasses in bed.

    ReplyDelete