Thursday 12 September 2013

Day 23: Ouray, Colorado

Bear with me while I set the scene, and excuse the pun. Today was Daves story and hopefully if I can keep him awake long enough I can show the photos of his little epic.
Last year, when we were here Dave had some contact with his friend, Robbie Cricket. Robbie runs an adventure riding company as a business and not surprisingly is a very capable off- road rider. Robbie was in Ouray and ended up doing an alpine loop ride that included 2 very significant passes, the Black Bear and Imogene. He was riding a 250cc bike at the time (think small and light).
The word came back that it was terrifying and not doable on a big bike.
Of course, from that moment on Dave wanted to ride it. We had some terse discussions as I simply refused and so the Black Bear simmered in Daves heart for a year.
To help you understand, this is a pass where several people have died in different incidents and just a week ago we heard of a rider who broke his femur and lots of other bits after falling off the track. It is not to be taken lightly.
Under considerable pressure from Dave to "take a look" I had relented but had no intention of actually riding it. In fact another little element is that you can only do it downhill and so once you start there is no turning back.
Anyway, Dave, bless him noticed my increasing depression as, to put it plainly, the thought of "taking a Dave look" simply terrified me. I love mountains but am not comfortable with cliff edges, especially those that drop for several hundred vertical metres.
So this morning at breakfast he suggested we go our separate ways. He would ride Black Bear and I would ride Imogene, in itself a not insignificant 13 000 foot pass with no shortage of technical challenge and exposure.
At this point I should hand over to Dave. He is alive and did it. Nothing he has told me has made me regret not doing it! I have never seen Dave rattled but he was still sweating by the time we met in Telluride. He is also pleased as punch. I'm off to get a wheelbarrow to carry his nuts.
Given that Imogene is my favourite pass on the Rockies I was happy to ride it both directions. I felt slightly guilty that I had broken the team effort as thus far we have stuck together through everything. Still, much as I like Dave I'm not prepared to die for the cause! The photos tell the tale I think, steep, narrow, off camber, death drop.
The lonely photo of a single white KTM is at the top of Imogene. It could be top of the world.


3 comments:

  1. "Wheelbarrow for his nuts" I am still hysterical, 10 minutes after reading that! Whoohoo! That looked mental...so glad you chose Imogene,though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christopher Columbus. Blistering barnacles and MY shattered nerves to both of you ! If I were Dave I'd ride Black Bear and if I were Charles I'd ride Imogene. mmm.. now that's doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean. So here's to Jiminy Cricket . . . he didn't tell no lies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now how will you two keep the adrenaline flowing for the rest of your leisure trip?
    The Whakatane Connection.

    ReplyDelete