Wednesday 4 September 2013

Day 15: Dubois, Wyoming

Who has ever heard of Dubois? I owe the town an apology as I thought it was a grim little place, having chosen a motel on the edge of town. However once we went into town for supper we realised it really is a charming little place. See the photos below, compliments of Dave as I had left my camera back at the motel. What is more surprising is that this is not a tourist but a service town for the surrounding ranching community so the carefully preserved facades are because the local community cares, not just tourist kitsch. Anyway, that is what I choose to believe.
Dave and I have perhaps been overdoing the salads and ran out of steam today so the excellent steak did our perceptions no harm either. I'm trying to lose weight in the hope that when I return home my wife shall find me attractive enough to boot Fabio out, hence the salad and coffee diet. Anyway, I digress..
Today started off in fog after some quite heavy overnight rain. Rather disconcertingly my dashboard failed to show any sign of life although the bike ran normally. I used the GPS as a speedo after we established that it was not something as simple as a fuse.
I didn't realise how much you look at a speedo or tachometer and of course without mileage I have no idea how much fuel is left in the bike. I think some connection got wet although the technical guru poo poos this. Whatever the case when things dried out mid morning the electrics came back and so I have chosen to tackle the problem with a healthy dose of denial. So long as the engine works...
I was a little down this morning but as is so often the case the mood lifted progressively through a day of awesome adventure riding. This was more a day about the ride than the views although we did traverse the top of the Tetons so we had a bit of a scenic fix as well.
The morning was spent on a disused rail track (rails and sleepers removed, leaving an elevated track). This was great, starting as a whooped out track due to ATV use that reminded me of some of the small bike trail rides we do. The trail settled into a sandy double track with a few bridges and tunnels for novelty.
After that we we rode a fantastic road for 40 miles or so that started as flowing gravel and eventually climbed and narrowed and became progressively more rocky, rutted and potholed to turn into a great flowing track. Not super technical but lots of fun. Good times.
We are now in desert country to the East of the divide. Tomorrow is planned to be a big day of desert riding so we intend to get an early start. Yeah right say the Macs.

No comments:

Post a Comment